- The software is only 244 Kb in size. It has no digital signature.
- It is portable, means you can carry it anywhere in your Thumb Drive.
- It selects Quick Scan by default that runs for a very short time.
- It is also possible to scan in deep that requires some time to complete.
- You will be able to see the path of the files being scanned.
- It consumes moderate system resources while scanning.
- After finishing virus scan if any suspicious file is found, the software will display the information in Rising Unknown Virus Detector window, such as the suspicious file name, file path, suspicious virus name, and possibility of its being malicious etc.
- By default the software creates log of scan result and the computer user’s local directory information as Rsinfo.htm in the same directory where the installer is present.
- If you choose not to create log, you should clear the checked box called “Create Log” before scaning. After scanning on suspicious file detection, click “Extract” button and you will see a popup window alerting you to extract the scan result and send the same to Rising Technology Co. Ltd appointed website.
- Please remember that a detection does not always mean that the file is infected. You should use Virus Total for checking its detection with 40+ antivirus softwares. You are also suggested to upload the suspicious file and Rsinfo.htm file to Rising for analysis.
I have currently no infected test machine. So, I was not able to see the detection ability of the software. See Rising knowledge base for demonstration about its detection. The software has not been updated recently (last updated 2nd June, 2008) but since heuristic detection does not dependent on signature database it should be useful till now. But I don’t think it will detect new varient of malwares like Stuxnet, Zeus etc.
Give it a try some times !!