Italian company NoVirusThanks is specialized in different security related products and services. A month ago I wrote about NoVirusThanks MD5 Checksum Tool. They have also made some different kind of software. An example is NoVirusThanks YouTube Video Downloader. Although in its early phase the software is already powerful and its FREE.
- Available both as a installer and a portable version. No executable is digitally signed.
- NoVirusThanks YouTube Video Downloader is compatible with the following 32-bit and 64-bit Microsoft Windows Operating Systems: Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7
- Fast and clean installation. Creates Desktop and Quick Launch icons by default and opens homepage after installation finish.
- Minimalistic GUI. Available as two languages: English and Italian.
- It can download videos from online video sites: Youtube, Metacafe, Vimeo, DailyMotion & Blip.
- It can convert downloaded videos and other videos to videos and audios of many formats. Following formats are supported.
- Cell Phone (H.263 3GP) (176×144)
- DVD Video MPEG (NTSC)
- DVD Video MPEG (NTSC) (16:9)
- DVD Video MPEG (PAL)
- DVD Video MPEG (PAL) (16:9)
- Flash Video (FLV)
- Iphone Video (MPEG-4 MP4) (480×320)
- Ipod Video (Apple QuickTime MOV) (320×240)
- MPEG Audio Layer 3 (MP3)
- PSP Video (H.264 MP4) (320×240)
- SVCD (MPEG2) (NTSC)
- SVCD (MPEG2) (PAL)
- VCD (MPEG) (NTSC)
- VCD (MPEG) (PAL)
- Waveform Audio File (WAV)
- Windows Media Video (V.7 WMV)
- XVid Video (AVI)
- It gives additional some options for managing your needs.
- NoVirusThanks YouTube Video Downloader uses FFmpeg for video conversion.
- It saves downloaded videos in the default program files directory or in any user defined path. While converting custom videos it sames the converted video in the same directory as the original one.
- The resource usage according to the video type. For converting Youtube MP4 to PSP video it consumed quite a lot of resources.
|System Resource Usage at Idle Time|
|System Resource Usage during Download & Conversion|
I found the software quite simple and effective. But some things should be optimized or improved.
- The software shows progress bar for download but not for video conversion which is required.
- After the video conversation is finished, it gives a successful message saying “The conversion process has terminated”. This message lead me to the confusion that the software was unable to convert the file. It should give some other message such as, “The conversion process has been succeeded”.
- In Video conversion, it should mention that the converted video will be placed in the same folder as the original and should also give user an option to set his defined path.
- During video conversion, the converted file gets double extension (first of original and second of the converted one). Some AntiMalware detect files with double extension. So, this thing needs to be changed.
- The software should enable “Open videos path when the download is finished” by default.
- More language support is needed.
- Manual update check would be useful.
- It should support more online video sites.
- The converted video type should be separated as audio and video. File formats should be listed under respective headings.
- While browsing for videos to convert, it should list files of supported formats, not just all files.
- The default download folder should be documents folder, not program files directory.
Download the software from the following links.