- It shows an wizard like screen for giving you step by step instructions for fixing your problem. If you facing a problem with your PC follow those steps for proper fixing of your problem. Because without fixing your primary problems if you move to the repair section your problem will not likely to solve.
- Step 1: Checking and Cleaning your system for malwares – recommended softwares are Malwarebytes, Kaspersky TDSS Rootkit Remover, Avast Free Antivirus, Combofix. I would suggest you to take caution while using Combofix. You should better get help from their forum – Computer Help section.
- Step 2: Checking your file system for errors. It requires a reboot to continue.
- Step 3: Checking integrity of system files. It is recommended to reboot system after the check is complete.
- Step 4: Creating system restore point and backing up system registry as a precaution to more serious system problems.
- Then comes the repair section: it allows three modes of repair, Basic, Advanced and Custom. When you select a mode and tries to run that, the program again pops up with a warning for creating system restore point and registry backup.
- The repair section currently fixes 21 types of problems.
- Mouse hovering on each repair shows up the thing in detail.
- Reset Registry Permissions:
When certain registry keys lose their proper permissions, then lots of problems can happen. Such as not being able to register certain files, windows updates failing, programs giving an error because they can’t access a certain reg key and so on.
- Reset File Permissions:
When certain files lose their proper permissions, then lots of problems can happen, such as not being able to install windows updates, program errors, services failing and so on.
- Register System Files:
By registering the system files this can repair a lot of errors in windows. Many Windows fixes include registering certain files in the system directories.
- Repair WMI:
WMI is used by many Windows services and 3rd party programs. When WMI becomes corrupt these services and programs will fail. Windows Firewall and also the Windows Action Center are just a few examples of Windows services & programs that use WMI.
- Repair Windows Firewall:
The firewall is built into the system rather deep. And when the firewall becomes corrupt it can still block out side connections from coming in. Even when turned off. Also when corrupt you are unable to add any exceptions to the firewall.
- Repair Internet Explorer:
When IE is corrupt and stops working you will notice you get just a white page and nothing more when using it. Also other errors and problems. This repair tool will get IE working normally again. This doesn’t replace ANY IE settings. It only repairs IE files.
- Repair MDAC & MS Jet:
Any program that needs to work with a database and uses MDAC or MS Jet will fail if they are corrupt.
- Repair Hosts File:
Some viruses and infections will add sites to the hosts file to keep you from going to those sites. But some users also uses the hosts file to protect themselves from bad sites.
- Remove Policies Set By Infections:
This will remove the policies that most infections set. Such as disabling the task manager, hiding the desktop, hijacking any exe that is run and many more.
- Repair Missing Start Menu Icons Removed By Infections:
This repair will put back the missing icons in the start menu, quick launch, and desktop that are moved by a rouge virus.
- Repair Icons:
If you notice your icons on your system are just a white file the use this repair. When the Windows icon database becomes corrupt you will notice the icons not showing correctly.
- Repair Winsock & DNS Cache:
When the DNS becomes corrupt you will not be able to get to some sites. Flushing and rebuilding the DNS and reseting winsock entries and TCP/IP stack will fix that problem.
- Remove Temp Files:
This is more of maintenance than a repair. The windows temp folder can grow rather large when not emptied. It can also have files that windows tries to use instead of the proper ones. Also some viruses and infections will be in the temp folder.
- Repair Proxy Settings:
Many infections will set your proxy settings to keep you from getting to websites. This repair will turn the proxy off in the system.
- Unhide Non System Files:
Some new viruses hide every single file on the system. This repair will unhide every file on the system that is not a system file.
- Repair Windows Updates:
Run this repair if windows updates are failing and is not working correctly.
- Repair CD/DVD Missing/Not Working:
This repair may help with CD or DVD drives that are not working as they should.
- Repair Volume Shadow Copy Service:
This repair may help when the Volume Shadow Copy Service wont run.
- Repair Windows Sidebar/Gadgets:
This will help get the sidebar working again if it fails to run, or if some gadgets that once worked no longer work. (Such as gadgets with just a white background.
- Set Windows Services To Default Startup:
Often some important services fail to start and causes problems. This will set the Windows services to their default startup state.
- Repair MSI (Windows Installer):
This will try to repair the Windows Installer (MSI)
- It asks for a reboot after completion of the fixes done by the software.
- Windows Repair is able to fix majority of problems in a PC but it is obviously not the perfect. You can suggest more such problems and give feedback about the software in their forum.
MajorGeeks have made a nice presentation about the software.
The software is indeed safe and trustworthy and if properly used can make wonders to your creepy PC.
It comes both as a installer version and a portable version. It runs on Windows XP, 2003, Vista, 2008 & 7 (32 & 64 Bit).
Direct Download Link for Installer Version
Direct Download Link for Portable Version
Have a nice day!