VirIT eXplorer Lite is a Free AntiMalware software developed by Italian company TG Soft that can be installed on operating system starting from Windows® 95 up to Windows® 8. This free software offers on-demand malware scanner-remover with automatic updates. It also offers VirIT Lite Monitor with Intrusion Detection technology to detect new threats and new generation malware. It has also some advanced tools like Process Manager, Device Manager, Delete/Move/Rename locked files, Alternate Data Stream lookup etc. It is able to work with any other AV product already installed on your computer, without the need to uninstall any of your software and with no performance decrease. You can use this Free version for both private and corporate usage.
Quick facts on Download & Installation of VirIT eXplorer Lite
- VirIT eXplorer Lite is available on its product site as a Free download.
- The installer is digitally signed by TG Soft S.a.s. Di Tonello Gianfranco e C.
- Fast and clean installation of the software is powered by InstallAware Wizard.
- You will be able to choose the installation language English or, Italian.
- Restart is required after the installation. I would suggest you to skip the restart at that point and complete the software update because another restart will be required after the update.
Usage & Feature of VirIT eXplorer Lite
Look & Feel
- The software is using a very backdated interface. But it is very easy to use after you get used to it.
- A nag screen opens all the time the scanner module is launched.
- I used an Intel Core i7 4th Gen (4 core, 8 thread) machine to test the software. But I can safely tell that software isn’t using too many resources. It is surprisingly lite (2-3% CPU) even during a scan.
- You can run a scan either via the context menu or by browsing for the folder from the GUI.
- You can turn on the Heuristic and Compressed Folder scan from settings.
- Before any disk or folder scan VirIT eXplorer Lite will scan the registry and MBR.
- Scanning is pretty fast.
- By default Malwares are set to be cleaned (quarantined) but you can set it to delete/rename automatically, set it to ask mode or let it remain in scan only mode.
- You can even schedule the scan on daily, weekly or monthly basis.
- You can restore any cleaned file from quarantine using “Restore Infected File” button.
- You can exclude folders from scanning.
- The software is set to update malware definitions automatically.
VirIT Lite Monitor
- The Monitor will use the Intrusion Detection technology and will inform the user on suspicious activities namely new startup items.
- You can white-list applications during the prompt.
- This module allows you to anonymously send suspicious files/startup items to C.R.A.M. (TG Soft AntiMalware research center), so their their research team can analyze those and update the malware definitions if necessary.
- Files are sent anonymously via TG Soft Web Mail or via your default e-mail client. Sent material is CR2 encrypted and they can be decrypted only by TG Soft researchers.
This module can scan for Alternate Data Stream on any NTFS partition or folder. From the listed result you can search for malware entries.
Using this module you can kill any process or thread. You can also list a thread or import the list of processes.
This module will list all Device Driver loaded in the Operating System. You can also import the list as text file.
This module will assist you in moving any locked file after a reboot.
VirIT Agent System
It is an advanced module that will operate in a low level way on the computer to remove and rename files, disable services or other operations.
Macro Virus Analyzer
This module can check if WinWord 6.0, Word 97, Word 2000 and Excel 2000 are affected by Macro viruses and also from new malware generations. It can also execute on startup but is disabled by default. This module doesn’t support latest Microsoft Office 2003, 2007, 2010 and 2013 and will give error message if such versions are detected.
Fix Internet Explorer + Windows settings
Upon confirmation the Internet Explorer web page is restored and set to http://www.tgsoft.it, at the same time the search page and some Windows Desktop settings are fixed as well.
Selected Screenshots of VirIT eXplorer Lite
My Verdict on VirIT eXplorer Lite
It is always better to have an on-demand scanner in place because it lets you double check your system. VirIT eXplorer Lite should be a nice addition to this mainly because of its many additional tools. But I will probably use only the scanner module because I have other softwares to do those additional jobs. The scanner is quite good and detected quite a few in my malware collection and does a few false positives but I will not make any final verdict on its detection capabilities because I am no expert.
VirIT eXplorer Lite may not be a top notch product but is worth a try. A lot can be improved in the software: a better GUI and better compatibility & versatility of the additional tools. I will definitely keep my eye on the software development.