According to the developer of this software
Remove Ads is a powerful program that filters and blocks commercial banners and all other kind of Ads. Even an inexperienced user can get rid of the ads, since Remove Ads starts working right after the installation and doesn’t need any additional settings. The program supports all popular browsers: Internet Explorer, FireFox, Mozilla, Opera and Netscape – regardless of their version. You can also block ads in any program you want like ICQ, ICQ Lite, MSN Messenger, Kazaa, Morpheus, Grokster, PalTalk, iMesh, Bearshare, LimeWire, MetaCafe and so on. The product works right after the installation – there is no need to customize any addition settings in the program or browser.
- The software can be downloaded from the following link.
- Its a tiny 428 Kb download. The executable does not have any digital signature.
- You need to be careful during the software installation since it will try to install Babylon Toolbar and also use InstallMonetizer to install unneeded software in your PC. Be careful to opt-out any such installation.
- After the installation, the application will launch. It will run from the System Tray.
- The GUI is good looking. The Front Page shows the current status of the app.
- The database lists the black lists that will b added to the hosts file.
- You may also add you customized list and level it as Anti-Ad or Parental Control.
- The top right side of the GUI has two buttons for disabling and updating the software.
Disabling the software removes the listing from the hosts file and Updating adds new lists to the database.
- Clicking the close button closes the application which the minimize button minimizes it to tray.
- The software requires administrative rights to work and of course you may get alerts from your anti-malware application about this software since it will access the hosts file.
- The software will work on Windows XP and higher Windows, both 32 and 64 bit.
- The software resource usage is low all the time.
I am not sure if this software is on development but is so it has the proper potential to attract the user base. I would recommend it but you need to be careful during its installation.