Secure My Screen is a revolutionary third party screen locker that is designed to keep your computer safe and secure whilst you are away from it. Secure My Screen employs advanced technology to make sure that your screen stays locked no matter what. Task manager cannot be used to close Secure My Screen and key combinations such as Alt + F4 and the close button will not work. Meaning that your screen really does stay locked. There is a great deal more to Secure My Screen than just screen locking however. Features such as multiple unlock passwords for trusted friends and family, and the ability to turn your screen onto standby when your system is idle make Secure My Screen one of the best screen lockers around.
Download & Installation
- the software may be downloaded from its homepage.
- The installer is only 3 Mb in size, not digitally signed and is free from malware. The current version 18.104.22.168 has the following hash.
- Note: Few antimalware is detecting this software as malware but all are likely to be false positives. I had tested the software extensively & was actively linked to the development of version 3.0. So, I know that it is clean.
- Installation went on smoothly to the default location [e.g. C:Program Files (x86)Secure My Screen].
- Desktop icon is not created by default.
- Software is launched by default after installation.
- No System requirement is mentioned in the website but to my personal testing it run well from Window XP to Windows 7 both 32 & 64 bit systems.
- It is able to run on all modern processors.
- RAM & CPU usage is not much.
- An active network connection is needed for synchronization of your account.
- 15.4 Mb of free disk space is required for installation.
- Administrative rights.
- If you have forgotten your username, you will be asked for your First Name and Password
- If you have forgotten your password, you will be asked for your First Name and User Name.
- If you have forgotten both, you will be asked to reset your application by contacting them for a reset code.
- If you enter wrong login details more that 3 times, your account will be locked out and you won’t be able to enter details for next 120 seconds and then for a single wrong login details, account will be locked for another 120 seconds.
- Please note that when your screen is locked you won’t get forgotten details prompt. You will need to use Reset Flash Drive to unlock at that time (See Later).
- Account Manager lets you to change your personal information like Username, First Name, Surname, Password and Security Question.
- If you hate to give your password to others you may create additional passwords with which others can login using your username.
- Here you may also change the application configuration:
- Set Password Reset Flashdrive: You may create password reset flashdrive to login to your account. Please note that your system won’t get unlocked if the flash drive is kept inserted.
- Shortcut Key: Shortcut key or Hotkey combination helps to quickly lock system using keyboard shortcuts. It is set by default to Alt+L.
- Menu Button Order: With this feature you may change the positions of the main menu of the software. You ay also set that to default place with this option.
- Screen Standby: You may manage the application to set your screen to standby mode when the screen is locked & is idle for certain amount of time (60 sec by default).
- Lock Screen Color: You may set the color of the locked screen with this option. Please note that you will also get this option when for the first time you lock screen with this application.
- Lock PC at Start-Up: If you haven’t done that previously, you may set that from here.
- Official Portable Version.
- Schedule automatic screen lock after certain periods of inactivity.
- Setting image as lock screen background.
- Strength check while setting additional password.
- Incorrect Version Number during installation. Still shows version 22.214.171.124.
- Clicking on “Could you help us out?” shows an error. The complete message can be seen by scrolling.
- Even if username is not set to remember, at startup it remembers the username.
- After logging in at startup, the main menu Logout button works similar as the Lock Computer button.