- The software installation is fast and clean.
- Installation is multilingual; English, Spanish, German, Russian languages are supported.
- Desktop icon is created automatically.
- None of the installation & uninstallation requires restart under normal conditions. In very rare cases, the installer may request system restart. After restart the system will ask your permission to run a program giXXXXXX.exe (where XXXXXX is 6 random letters and digits). Please allow it – that program is a part of the Kryptel installer, and should be run to finish installation properly.
- Uninstallation do not leave traces.
- It also offers Repair & Add/Remove Features function during uninstallation.
- Quick Tutorial is opened at the end of installation.
- The software can run on Windows 2000 to Window 7.
- Both 32 & 64 bit are supported although the software is natively 32 bit.
- The software is light on resources during idle time but consumes moderately high resources during encryption.
- Easy single-click encryption.
Unlimited file size: While Kryptel does not limit file size, operating system limitations may apply. For instance, FAT32-formatted drives cannot hold files larger than 4Gb.
- Strong encryption using industry-standard AES cipher.
- Effective ZIP and BZIP2 data compression.
- The Desktop icon is set to open Encrypt/Decrypt Wizard upon a double-click.
- The software shows Encrypt & Shred entries on the right-click menu of all files & folders & shows Decrypt, Verify & Shred entries on the right-click menu of all encrypted files.
- File & Folders can be encrypted either from the Right Click menu or via the Encrypt/Decrypt Wizard.
- Right Click encryption is faster. It just asks for the password to encrypt and creates the encrypted file (.edc) with the same name of the original file.
- Encryption via Encrypt/Decrypt Wizard is a bit lengthy (step 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5) but will allow you to set the location and filename of your choice.
- Kryptelite does not allow forming the encrypted archive at the root of a hard drive. So, if the file/folder to be encrypted are attempted to encrypt via right click menu, an error message will be shown. Those file/folder should be encrypted using Kryptel Wizards.
- The software supports drag & drop during addition of files/folders to the encrypt list.
- By default the software asks to enter password just once during encryption. You may also see the entered password and enter it twice.
- By default the software displays or hides entered password based on previous selection but it can be set to hide or show always.
- There is an option to force the password to be entered twice during encryption & also to set it case-sensitive.
- The encrypted file may be verified for any error from right click menu. It may also be set to verify after encryption.
- When multiple files/folders are selected and encrypted via right click menu, multiple encrypted files have been created. To create a single encrypted file either use the Wizard or set the software to produce single file upon encryption.
- Decryption of encrypted file may be carried out quickly from right-click menu or via the wizard. The wizard is lengthy (step 1, 2 & 3) but will allow you to set the destination folder of the extracted files.
- Both encryption & decryption takes place fast.
- After encryption, source file/folder and after decryption the encrypted container will be shred (1 Pass) in the background for security purpose. This behavior may be changed upon user decision.
- The software may also be used as a shredder. Files/Folders may be shred via right-click menu. it will just show an alert and will start the processing in the background. 1 pass shredding is used which is quite enough.
- The software allows you to change the icons being displayed.
- The software has an well documented offline help file.
The software is excellent in its category. Paid versions offer better protection but for basic users, this software is quite enough.
I would like to request the developer for removing the ‘show’ password feature or keep it an optional feature. This is dangerous if a screenlogger is installed in a PC.
Like always, I think that a portable version would be great for the popularity of the software. An auto-update check would also be beneficial.