Everyone needs privacy and security and to help everyone with this I have wrote a few articles on File/Folder/Text encryption and File/Folder Shredding. Secure Eraser Standard Edition from ASCOMP Software is an useful tool that can securely shred Files, Folders, Drives, Free Space, Registry, Junks and Internet Traces. In addition to overwriting sensitive files with random data, Secure Eraser supports other acknowledged deletion standards like US DoD 5220.22-M E, US DoD 5220.22-M ECE, German standard, Peter Gutmann standard.
Features and Specifications
- The Standard Edition of Secure Eraser is for private purposes and for testing issues only. For for commercial/business purposes you need to purchase the Professional Edition of the software.
- The 3.95 Mb installer is digitally signed by ASCOMP Software GmbH and can be downloaded from any of the following links.http://www.secure-eraser.com/sEraser.exehttps://www.ascomp.de/secureeraser/sEraser.exe
- The current version of the installer (v 4.008) is clean from malware and has the following hash.
- The software can be installed on both 32 and 64 versions of Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8.
- Software installation is fast and clean and requires 10.6 Mb free disk space.
- It creates desktop icon and entries in context menus for files, folders and recycle bin for quickly access the application.
- The software is multilingual; presently supports English, Chinese, Hungarian and Deutsch language.
- The software GUI is well designed for accessing each section of the software.
- It offers 5 type of deletion.
1. File & Folder deletion
Add files or folders by browsing or by drag & drop. Select the security level and Start deletion.
2. Drive/partition deletionSelect the drive for deletion. Change deletion algorithm and Start deletion.
3. Free space deletionSelect the drive for deletion. Change deletion algorithm and Start deletion.
4. System cleaningSelect items to clean in Windows, Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. It will automatically analyze and show the items and space that can be recovered. Change deletion type and Start deletion.
5. Registry cleaningSelect type of registry to scan and Start scanning.
|Type of Registry to be Scanned|
|Found ‘Obsolete’ Registry keys/values|
- In all the cases you can select the after deletion task as Exit program, Windows shutdown, Windows reboot, Windows standby.
- For Drive/partition and Free space deletion it offers two preselected options. Clear up MFT and Clear Change Journal.
- The software has a Journal section, where it logs the events, deleted files, folders, registry keys/values and deletion errors. The maximum entries in that can be managed from settings.
|Log of Deleted Files and Registry keys/values|
- The software can manually check for updates. By default, It is set to check for updates at program launch.
- It offers an offline PDF documentation. But it is in Deutsch language. There is no online documentation.
- The software uses minimal resources at idle time and during deletion process.
|System Resource Usage at Idle Time|
|System Resource Usage during Deletion|
Considering all the features, the software indeed is very useful. It needs to have a documentation in English. I would recommend this software.
Notes of Caution
1. Make sure you are not deleting your important files without making a backup.
2. Make a system restore point before doing System cleaning and Registry cleaning.