Windows Task Manager is an excellent administrative tool to manually control running Process, Service etc. You will be able to see details of the unknown processes and thereby allows you to detect and kill unwanted processes like malware, riskware etc. But modern malware are smart enough to disable Windows Task Manager rendering your task harder. So, it is always better to have a portable executable that performs the same job as Windows Task Manager, since malware can also block software installation. I have already wrote about a similar application Process Manager that can do similar job. MiTeC Task Manager DeLuxe is another alternative application that you might like to look at. According to the developer:
Task Manager DeLuxe (TMX) offers powerfull features available in standard Windows Task Manager in lightweight portable package with many more enhancements. It needs no installation and leaves no tracks in system so it can be easily used as portable application everywhere. There is also AutoRefresh feature providing automatic refreshing of current screen in defined interval. Session viewer contains automatic session journal which logs every session login, logout, lock and status change. It is useful especially on terminal servers to watch how users connect and disconnect to their desktops.
Features & Specifications
- MiTeC Task Manager DeLuxe comes as a Zip Archive [TMX.zip ; 1.07 Mb Kb] containing the standalone executable [TMX.exe ; 2.52 Mb]. Upon execution the application window opens up.
|Main GUI (Process Manager)|
- The title bar of the application shows the current date and time.
- You will also be able to take a snapshot of the application using the snapshot tool near the minimize button. The snapshot is saved in JPEG format in the same folder as the application executable. Snapshots are named as Snapshot_yyyymmddhhmm25.jpg (for example Snapshot_20120606121425.jpg for a snapshot taken on 6th June, 2012, 12:14:25 Hrs).
- Process Manager is MiTeC Task Manager DeLuxe looks good. The SYSTEM processes are marked in gray color while user processes are in Blue.
- You will be able to terminate multiple processes at once by checking the boxes before the process name and clicking “Terminate checked processes”.
|Terminate Multiple Processes|
- The Services Manager can Start and Stop Installed Services. Command Line Parameter of each Service can be viewed from there. It also allows to quickly launch Windows Service Manager to manage the autorun settings of each services.
|Service Manager in MiTeC Task Manager DeLuxe|
- MiTeC Task Manager DeLuxe can show environment variable of the operating system.
- The software allows you to manage autoruns. You will be able to disable multiple autorun entries at once.
|Autorun Manager in MiTeC Task Manager DeLuxe|
- In the performance tab it shows the live usage of CPU and Memory usage.
|Live CPU and Memory Usage in MiTeC Task Manager DeLuxe|
- There is a AutoRefresh option that allows you to refresh the Process, Service, Autorun information at regular intervals (default is 10 sec).
- Allows computer Shutdown, Restart, Logoff, Lock, Sleep, Hibernate.
- Starting New Task.
- MiTeC Task Manager DeLuxe consumes minimal resources.
- The application is mentioned as compatible to Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows 8, both 32 and 64 bit.
I liked the application but would have liked more control from the software itself:
- All the features of Windows Services Manager.
- Pause and Reboot Process.
- Add new service.
- Delete Existing Service.
- Both Disable and Delete Autorun Entries.
- Change Environment Variable.
- I haven’t understood the use of Windows Tab. If Windows Tab means to same as Applications Tab in Windows Task Manager, then it did not work at all.
- I got an error while opening the application in Windows 7 32 and 64 bits: “List index out of bounds (0)”. But after clicking OK, everything went normal. In XP it was alright.
Update: This error has been fixed in latest version. Thanks to the developer for the prompt release.
Download the application from the following link.