Due to the easy availability of Digital Cameras and also due to the availability of non copyrighted images via internet, we deal with photos everyday for various purpose. Most common job work to do with images is to Convert and Compress and the open source application Converseen does it all in batch. According to the developer:
Converseen is an open source project written in C++ with the powerful Qt4 libraries. Thanks to the Magick++ image libraries it supports more than 100 image formats. You can convert an unlimited number of images and / or create thumbnails
to any of the most popular formats: DPX, EXR, GIF, JPEG, JPEG-2000, PDF, PhotoCD, PNG, Postscript, SVG, and TIFF.
Download & Installation Specification of Converseen
- Open source Freeware under GNU General Public License version 2.0 (GPLv2)
- Download Converseen from Sourceforge (11.7 Mb ; version 0.5.2)
- Installation requires administrative rights.
- Installation is multilingual: German, English, Spanish, French, Italian & Portuguese languages are supported.
- 38.8 Mb free disk space is required for installation.
- Installation is fast and clean.
- At the end of installation, you will be asked to launch Converseen and to open the read me file.
Features Specification of Converseen
- Add image(s) via browsing. Drag & Drop not offered.
- Can preview individual images.
- Shows image type, size, resolution and file size of previewing image
- Change image background color.
- Convert images to 130 image formats.
- Can compress JPEG and PNG image formats.
- Can set to ask or directly overwrite images upon conversion.
- output folder cannot be changed. It’s the user folder. You will get an option to open it after conversion finish.
- 10 Languages are supported for the GUI.
- RAM usage is a bit high.
My Verdict on Converseen
I like few things in Converseen: large number of supported image formats, PNG compression, background color change. Few things can be improved and added: RAM usage, Changing output folder, renaming and resizing in batch. A portable version would be handy.
Manual creation of Portable Converseen:
Copy the installation folder and execute converseen.exe any time to launch the application.