RARLAB. the maker of WinRAR has released a new version of the software. WinRAR is updated to version 5.30. They have added a few essential features and added stability to the existing features. Frankly speaking, I love and recommend WinRAR for this very reason! They believe in the principal “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. I started using WinRAR in 2008, and till the present build it looks the same. Unless you go through their change logs, you won’t be able to know what changes have been made. Being an avid follower, I noticed that RARLab bring out alpha, beta builds frequently, and release stable builds every 4-5 months. However, they keep the look of WinRAR intact, so that a casual user don’t feel out of place with a sudden overhaul of GUI. Moreover, I recommend WinRAR because it is light on system resources, has all the features needed in an archive manager.
WinRAR costs USD 29.00 for a 1 PC lifetime license! Buy it!
Change log of WinRAR 5.30
- It can now extract multipart ZIP archives created by 7-Zip. All parts must be stored in the same folder before starting extraction.
- Now, it is also able to extract files split to multiple parts with .001, .002, …, extensions.
- For the above features “001” item is included to “Associate WinRAR with” list in “Settings/Integration” dialog.
- WinRAR file list now allows to use mouse Back and Forward buttons or Alt+Left and Alt+Right keyboard shortcuts to navigate in recently visited folders. However, all parts must be stored in the same folder before starting extraction
- It is now possible to pause SFX extraction and resume it later. To achieve this, “Extract” button in SFX archive is changed to “Pause” when extraction is started
- To silently skip encrypted archives while performing search command, “Skip encrypted” option has been added in “Find files” dialog.
- Now, total progress bar is displayed when extracting .arj, .lzh and .cab archives, except multivolume archives.
- Progress bar is also displayed when deleting files after archiving and when clearing “Archive” attribute of archived files.
- Now, archive test command works for tar.gz, tar.bz2 and tar.xz archives. WinRAR checks only validity of GZIP, BZIP2 or XZ container, since TAR format does not provide file data checksums.
- “Test” command now also verifies contents of NTFS alternate data streams in RAR 3.x – 5.x archives.
- Earlier, adding a new string to WinRAR diagnostic messages window could be slow and affect the operation performance in case of thousands of errors. Now it works fast regardless of errors number.
- WinRAR now prevents a computer to go to sleep until current operation, such as archiving, extraction or another archive processing, is done.
- Sleep time parameter in -ri[:] switch is adjusted to lower its impact to RAR performance and especially to recovery record related operations. Now, higher sleep time values are needed to reduce the system load to same level as in previous versions.
- Modification time is now set for all folders created when unpacking .7z archives.
- Folder wildcards are allowed in RAR command line in file names to archive. For example:
rar a backup c:backup2015**
will archive all ‘2015*’ folders in c:backup. Use -r switch to search for ‘2015*’ also in c:backup subfolders.
- New ‘R’ object for -sc switch defines encoding of console RAR messages sent to redirected files and pipes.
- Console RAR “l” and “v” commands display file time in YYYY-MM-DD format.
- When extracting RAR and ZIP archives created in Unix, WinRAR maps decomposed Unicode characters to precomposed. Such conversion is required for some Unix and OS X archives to correctly unpack non-English archived names in Windows. It works for Windows versions starting from Windows Vista.
- SFX module sets sfxstime environment variable, which contains the module start time in “YYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM-SS-ms” format. You can specify it in Path command if you need to generate a time based unique installation path, such as “Path=myapp-%sfxstime%”.
- Console RAR crashed instead of displaying an overwrite prompt when attempting to add files to already existing volumes.
- Console RAR “lt” command did not display seconds in file timestamp.
- WinRAR failed to decompress .xxe files if they did not include
“section N of xxencode” string in the body;
- WinRAR could not restore contents of NTFS alternate data stream saved with -os switch if it was split between different volumes.