Normal File deletion in Windows (Shift + Delete) deletes only its metadata. Actually, the files hides on your hard disk somewhere and Windows only removes the entry from the FAT (file allocation table) so that the system does not see the file. These files can be found and recovered again as long as they haven’t been overwritten by new data yet. As such the entire file can be recovered with the use of special data recovery softwares. To avoid privacy and security issues resulting from insecure file deletion, you need a software that will delete every trace of the existing file. Kakasoft Super File Shredder is such a software. It is distributed as Free under GNU public license. The software can quickly shred files by overwriting random bits, 15 times using advanced algorithms, making recovery literally impossible. According to the website:
Kakasoft Super File Shredder is simple but powerful program that surpasses manu commercial file shredders out there. The Author believes that such a utility should be available to anyone for free and that permanent and safe removal of confidential documents is a matter of basic right to privacy.
Download & Installation
- The software installer is available in the following direct link
- Its a 2.4 Mb download, digitally signed by Liao Guobo.
- The software installation requires administrative rights. installation went on fast and clean with the automatic creation of a desktop icon.
- It supports Windows 8, Windows 7, both 32-bit and 64-bit edition, Windows XP, Windows Vista and all earlier versions.
- The software is moderately light on resources. Following screenshots display its resource usage at idle time and during shredding.
|System Resource Usage at Idle Time|
|System Resource Usage during Shredding|
Features & Specification
- The software GUI is neatly designed. It has no minimize button and also the GUI can’t be resized. Launching the GUI requires administrative elevation.
- Files can be added to the Shredding GUI via drag & drop or by browsing for it.
|Browse for Files and Folder|
- After adding files to the GUI, just click on the Start(S) button and the incineration will start in batch.
|Shredding Files via GUI|
- The software also integrates itself on the context menu of Files and Folders and from there shredding starts just after a confirmation, without opening the GUI.
- Kakasoft Super File Shredder uses several wiping algorithms.
- Currently it supports the single Pass, 7 Pass, 35 Pass (Gutmann) and also DoD 5220.22-M sanitization method. The last one being the default method.
- The software is set to automatically check for updates everyday. But you may also set it to check updates every week or month.
- There is no offline help documentation but online instructions are available to assist you with the software.
- Uninstallation of the software is also quite fast and complete. You need to restart the explorer for complete removal of the context menu.
I find this application quite complete. So, it is recommended.
There is no official portable version of the software but manually one can be easily made by copying the installation folder (viz: C:Program FilesSuper File Shredder) expect unins000.exe and unins000.dat and executing FileShredder.exe anytime to launch the application.